Thursday, June 18, 2009

Authors Make It Look So Easy

I struggled all afternoon on a 250 word piece for a class, rearranging sentences, exchanging words, reading aloud, deleting, starting over. First, not enough words, then too many. When this happens, it's best to click save and do something else, like, say, step in front of bus. Well, that's what I felt like doing, but I actually picked up my book and read, finding this wonderful gem--simple, honest, funny, raw and I love it. Forget all that lyrical prose. This is priceless and why I love reading YA fiction. It's not 250 words-only because I didn't feel like typing the whole thing- but I can't help but wonder, how long did it take?


That's the thing with drug addicts. They steal wheelchairs and hearing aids and walkers and canes and seeing-eye dogs, and I'm sure if Junior needed a fix that he would reach right into every one of those trailer-park old people and grab their pacemakers. Sam didn't understand this, so he just looked at me and repeated the question.

"I mean, who would steal a wheelchair?"

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King


It's turning out to be a very odd read, but when so many novels are the same blendarized puree, odd is great. Yes, I wrote blendarized. I'm weird that way.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book. It's a book that's really hard to explain to people. My friend just borrowed it and she asked what it was about and I said just read it. It's definitely odd. And A.S.King writes beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it helps to step away and get your mind onto something new. I haven't read this yet but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you really want to know how long it took? Because I can tell you! :)

    I'm glad you're enjoying it. It *is* an odd book. Even I find it hard to describe. It's not for everyone, but I'm so pleased many have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback. Be well, and happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Lost Atlantis kit by Irene Alexeeva