Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Most Popular Book on the Beach, Unofficially

I just got back from a much needed vacation at the beach where I was able to do two of my favorite things.  Read and relax.   I lost myself in Harry Potter world, and whenever the heat got to bake my brain temperature, I'd walk in the surf, peeking at the books everyone else was reading.  Then I had an epiphany.  Or possibly heat stroke, I don't know which, but I decided to conduct unofficial research to find the most popular book on the beach!  Fun, right?  I could get friends and family to help.  NOT.

But I would not be deterred.  It was a good idea.  I slathered on SPF, put on my straw chapeau and set out on my own to gather information.   Of course, I didn't want to appear weird weirder than I am , so I tried to be sleuthy and non-chalant about it which is really difficult when you're the only one on the beach craning, squinting and stooping to read book titles.  Adding to the difficulty, the author's name often appears much larger on the cover than the title.  My research lasted only a few miles (I wasn't wearing a watch) but I still think the findings are fun.

Beach reads are often considered light reading.  Most books were paperback, and I only saw two eReaders.  James Patterson, Amanda Quick, Tess Gerritsen, Anita Shreve and Fern Michael's were uber popular.  One person was reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, as I was.  Two people were reading Game of Thrones by George Martin.  I saw Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty, and Impulse by Ellen Hopkins.  I spied Helter Skelter, the story of the Manson murders, under the same umbrella with The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.  One person was reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

But which title did I glimpse most often?  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins takes the lead with a whopping eight adult readers.

With filming of The Hunger Games underway, excitement over the series hasn't waned.  Its fan base is increasing.   Check out this awesome Hunger Games youtube video.  I'm not ashamed to admit I burst into tears.  It's not the actors in the actual movie, but it's professionally made.  I can't wait.



So what'd you think of the video?  What book did you take on vacation this summer?

Be well, and happy reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Be well, and happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Lost Atlantis kit by Irene Alexeeva