Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thoughts on the 2011 National Book Award Finalists

Check out the 2011 National Book Award finalists.

I've only read two of the nominees, one from adult literature and one from young adult: The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht (read my review here) and Chime by Fran Billingsley.

I loved Chime by Fran Billingsley, but I didn't write a review because I didn't think I could adequately describe the writing, or the mood or feel of it.  The voice is a bit odd, and I didn't love it right away, but after a few chapters I started feeling the rhythm and getting into the story.  A short time later, I totally fell.  All the characters are unique, and the surprising denouement is very satisfying.

Read it!  This odd is worth devouring.  And Eldric will make you swoon.  I'm totally pumping my fist for this book!


In case you haven't heard, Lauren Myracle withdrew her young adult novel Shine after a heart-wrenching clerical error-its confusion with Chime.  Read her story here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, crumbs! I vaguely remember hearing something about Lauren Myracle, Franny Billingsley and the National Book Awards, but I'm afraid your link takes me to the Chime page on Amazon. That just makes me wanna know what happened all the more!

    Also, I wanted to thank you for grabbing the HFJ button! Hope you enjoy our event!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback. Be well, and happy reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs Lost Atlantis kit by Irene Alexeeva